Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dueter 45+ Guide Pack

The Dueter Guide 45+ pack has all the bells and whistles… okay, no bells, but it does have a whistle - conveniently built into one of the buckles. I love to see added functionality with no cost to weight; it’s the hallmark of quality mountain gear. My favorite feature: The Alpine Back System provides a cooling channel of air along my back for the length of the pack, reducing the sweat-factor on those long chops up to Lumpy Ridge. Dueter’s VariFlex hip belt is as cushy as they come and adjusts way out for layered-up winter outings. This pack’s main compartment has a removable separator which allows me to separate gear within the load when necessary. It’s hydration system compatible, and carries ice tools and crampons without worry. An extendable lid is essential for me, and Deuter was smart enough to put one on. I can't go without the easy access allowed by carrying a rope saddlebag-style under the lid.

One feature that I would welcome adding to this pack is a small pocket on the side that I could use to stuff a CLIF Bar wrapper or a beanie into mid-hike. If I happen to be on the trail without pockets on my pants, a small elastic sleeve on the side saves me from having to stop and remove my pack to stow those little things along the way.

The Deuter 45+ is a great all-around pack - and tough. I’ve been rockin’ mine for more than 5 months. It’s been through the ringer, and has shown no weakness.

Luke Terstriep
AMGA Certified Single Pitch Instructor
Colorado Mountain School &
Boulder Rock Club
2829 Mapleton Ave.
Boulder, CO 80301
800-836-4008

No comments: