Monday, June 14, 2010

Marmot Aegis Jacket

I’ve had a chance to wear Marmot’s Aegis Jacket now in spring and early summer conditions in both Colorado and South Dakota’s Needles and one thing is clear; I love it!

It is unbelievable that Marmot was able to load this jacket with so many useful features and keep the weight down to a bantam 14oz!

Some things I can’t live without in a waterproof/breathable shell. This includes a hood that is fully adjustable for helmet or bare head and cinches down to stay put in the brutal winds common in the Rockies. Also on my list of must-haves are ample pit zips (hey, I sweat a little ok?), a draw cord hem and a two way main zipper (great when wearing a climbing harness). I also like a little stiffened bill on the hood, kind of like a built in baseball cap. The Aegis has all this and more.

Some of the other nice touches include a soft driclime lining on the cuffs and collar, cuffs that are big enough to go on over your gloves and yet easily cinch tight (though they could go a bit tighter on my skinny wrists when I’m gloveless; which is really only an issue at high speeds on my motorcycle), a zippered sleeve pocket for the lip balm and what have you , and big zippered hand warmer pockets to carry said gloves in. The Aegis also lets you stow the hood away in the collar when you don’t feel a need for the full protection; like when you have your motorcycle helmet on, or if you’re just using it as a wind shell.

Finally I like the way it moves. With Marmot’s “Angel Wing” movement, you can easily stretch for the next handhold without the whole jacket needing to move, and although it is a hardshell jacket, it moves almost like a softshell; not at all stiff and crinkly.

With all this going for it, the Aegis comes in red to boot! (and other colors)

And at 14oz. you can afford to carry full foul weather protection with you at all times. whether rock climbing, alpine climbing or hitting the canyon twisties.

I know mine will be coming with me on many more adventures throughout the year.
 
Mark Hammond
Senior Guide
Colorado Mountain School
totalclimbing.com
800-836-4008

2 comments:

Jason WK Chiu said...

Great review! Looking forward to my many planned adventures with this jacket that's on order :)

Unknown said...

Great post, thanks!

Bodhee
http://www.totalxgear.com